How Little E helped me broaden my perspective with a laptop...

We try not to let the kids play too much on electronics because it seems they get mesmerized and develop some bad habits socially. But - homework was done and rooms were cleaned (somewhat.) So, I told Little E that he could play on his brothers computer for a little bit. I was engrossed working on my computer and lost track of time (maybe mesmerized a little myself. :)) I had forgotten what Little E was doing - so I asked him. He responded, "Still on the computer." Thinking Little E should get his exercise and wanting to be a good dad I said, " Why don't you go play outside?" To which he responded, "There are no plugs out there!"

Hilarious - But, Little E was obviously answering the wrong question. Sometimes, I get so engrossed in what is right in front of me that I start finding solutions for the wrong question. Maybe the questions aren't , " Why am I so fat ", "Why won't that  lame customer call me back" or , "Why won't my kids just listen"?  Maybe the questions are, "Why don't I care about my body" or "What can I say to give the customer a compelling reason to call me back" or "Why am I so quick to get angry?" 

I need to step back from the laptop - Ask the question again  - and broaden my perspective. 

No comments: