Observations about friendship from Our Road Trip

We just spent a few days on the Monterey Coast with the boys. They are 4 and 6 now - going on 5 and 7 in December and January. It is always amazing to me observing the boys when we take a few days away. A lot of time is spent in the car. While in the car you get to observe their behavior in a whole new light. That is, because it is for an expanded period of time (4 or 5 hours) within a confined space (the van.) "That's funny - That tickles - It's my turn - He hit me!" It is so intriguing to me as I observe an older brother that can despise his younger brother one minute and in the next minute offer to let him have his blanket to keep warm. I guess he has not yet learned the refinement of harboring bitterness that we adults are so good at (sarcasm implied). But then I wonder if he is closer to the mark.  If you could have a relationship that was transparent in regards to shortfalls but quickly expressed love and appreciation that wouldn't be so bad - Would it?

No comments: