Dad, My Leg Hurts... Part 2

"E" is not the only one who has had growing pains. I can still remember the times when I was growing up when my legs would cramp up. I would be laying on the floor agonizing. My sympathetic mom would tell me, “You are just getting taller.” This never seemed to give me the comfort I was wanting during those painful experiences. I eventually grew out of it and moved on with my life. That is, until I started having flashbacks when "E" came up to me with a real life reminder. At 3 years old, he was experiencing those same types of cramps in his legs. So, you are thinking, "Ed, What an opportunity for you to demonstrate the compassion you felt was so lacking from your mommy during those times of agony (note sarcasm.)" But, when you are a parent and at a loss for words - Guess What! You say the same crazy things or similar phrases to what your parents told you. You know phrases like- Because I said so, Ask your mom, or We will do that when you are older. So, I tried to be creative. I mixed it up a little bit. You see, "E" like many 3 year old boys longs to be a "BIG BOY." That's how I get him to eat vegetables, not be scared of the dark, brush his teeth, potty train - You name it - BIG BOY is a magical term to a three year old. So, I pulled out my trump card - Those two magic words - BIG BOY. Instead of telling "E" he was getting taller I said, “ 'E', you are becoming a BIG BOY.” In my mind I pictured him wiping the tears away, sniffling a little bit, and then just toughing it out. Without skipping a beat "E" replied, “Dad, I want to stay small!” And, then he continued to cry.
“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. “ James 1:2-4
In the midst of the pain, aren’t we just like "E"? God is stretching us to the point where it hurts a little or maybe a lot. We may tell God, “I am okay with where I am in my spiritual journey.” As with my son, we fail to see the long term benefit of “becoming a BIG BOY (or girl).” We often times are willing to settle for less significant growth in order to avoid temporary pain. In "E's" situation with his leg cramp you as a father do what you can to help relieve the pain. Rub his leg. Maybe, give him a warm bath. You do what you can to help him through it. You don’t try to find a "Cure" because you know it will soon pass. You understand it is part of the growth process and the benefit outweighs the temporary discomfort. If we are serious about our spiritual journey, we will have painful, difficult circumstances. According to James those painful, difficult circumstances will come along to make us stronger.
So, the question is, what have we put in place in our lives to help deal with the pain/difficulty? Is it something we just push through? Do we have friends, guides, spiritual mentors to help in dealing with the pain/difficulty? And are they the kind of people that can give wise advice on how to make it through while at the same time giving us perspective on the benefit of the pain?

No comments: