Dad, My Leg Hurts...

So, this has become an ongoing event in the Jones household. Periodically, in the middle of the night “E” wakes up writhing in pain from these leg cramps. But, he is no dummy. One evening as I was trying to help him through this difficult time he asked me if I could get him some ice. We were staying at a hotel on vacation at the time. I told him I would walk down the hallway to get him some ice to help sooth the pain. Without missing a beat, he piped up, “No dad, I need Ice… CREAM!” He said this with a little smirky smile that only ”E” can give. In the midst of his pain he did not miss an opportunity to use the sympathy he was receiving from me in his favor. I didn’t get him the ice cream because it was late (bed time – you know.) But, I know if it was the middle of the day I would have found a way just to reward his creativity. Some people may have seen this as manipulation on the part of “E”. I did not. I sensed the playful heart of my child. Oh how I long to have that type of relationship with God, the Father. Not a regimented prayer time that deals dutifully with various situations. There needs to be room for, “C’mon God, you know I could be a better witness for you if I had this nice car.” (with a smile and wink) While at the same time saying, But You know what is best. So, Your will be done. That is essentially what “E” was doing. He was saying, I sure would like this. So, I will ask while the timing is right. But, I know you will choose what is best for me. I want to have that same type of relationship with God.
Lord, Give me an openness to ask for anything, but a willingness to accept any answer.
Mark 10:13-15People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”(NIV)

No comments: