Do You Think God Laughs At Us?

It is fun as a Dad watching my four and two year old boys play together. Sometimes they run around with their light sabers. Sometimes they wrestle. Sometimes they jump. Sometimes they get along well. Sometimes I have to break it up. It is usually always full of energy and physical play though. So, I was not surprised when my four year old son E came up to me to show how strong he had become. He does afterall "workout" with his brother every day as they play together. This, not to mention, all the physical adventures he has at school with his friends on the playground. So, when E came up to me to demonstrate his strength I was not surprised. I was intrigued to find out his assesment of how his strength came about. So I asked him.

E said, "Dad, look how strong I am!" while flexing his muscles like a body builder. I noticed that he was holding his flex a little longer than usual like he was really trying to impress me. Then he got that look on his face. You know, that look that says the statement I just said is just the setup for the conversation we are about to have. Kind of like when he tells his mom she is beautiful before asking for a scoop of ice cream. So, I accomodated. I asked E, "How did you get so strong?" With a huge, smirky smile he said, "McDonalds!!" As I began to laugh my head off he started to rattle off other nutritious choices like ice cream and cupcakes.

He knew - At least, I think he knew that McDonalds is not the key to building strong muscles. But, what he really knew was that being creative in his request for McDonalds might give him a greater probability of receiving his request. His statement was so ridiculous it was funny. I wonder if God laughs his head off sometimes when we make sincere requests. I wonder if he laughs at our focus on the short term gain.
Do you think He is laughing and saying to himself:

"That guy - perfect for you?"
"You really cant live without those matching shoes?"
"You really want me to bless that double quarter pounder, with fries and a diet coke?"

Don't get me wrong. I think God often meets those felt "McDonalds" cravings at times. I just wonder if he laughs. And I wonder if He's ready to offer so much more.

Remember the man crippled from birth in the Book of Acts?
He was looking for a few coins from Peter and John.
They didn't have any money. But after they called out the name of Jesus, God healed him that day.
I bet they were laughing a lot harder than when I heard E say Mcdonalds.

No comments: