It Worked Just Like Dad Said!

Bath time, then to bed is the order for the end of the evening for both of the boys. Big "E" was getting out of the tub first while little "e" just hung out for a little longer. When "E" got out, he asked me if he could watch Sprout before going to bed. Sprout is a bedtime show for kids "E's" age. Since I had to still take care of "e", I would usually just tell him to go ask his mom. But, tonight I decided this could be a teaching moment for him.

I told "E" to listen carefully. When you go out there, ask your mom if you can snuggle with her after you get dressed. After that, snuggle with her for a few minutes. Then after some time has passed quietly ask, "Mom, is it okay if I watch Sprout?" "E" is four years old now and is learning the subtleties of communication to a greater degree each day. So, I was very interested to see how he would do following my instructions. I listened while the story unfolded in the living room.

E: Mom, I just have to get dressed. Then, can I come snuggle with you?
M: Of course you can come snuggle with mommy. I would love that!
E: Okay, I will hurry. Then we can snuggle.
M: Okay. I will be waiting.
E: I am ready to snuggle
M: Come on over here and snuggle with mommy.
2 to 3 minutes of silence.... (I am thinking, "You are doing good "E!")
E: Mom, can we watch Sprout?
M: Sure, we can watch Sprout.
E: (excitedly) It worked just like Dad said!
M&E: (Laughter!)

Mom learned that "E" was after something else when he snuggled with her that evening. But, she also knew he really wanted both. We are not fooling God when we worship Him and say He is all we need but then the next minute say, "God, I actually need this." God can and does meet us at both places. The place that brings us toward the act of full surrender. And the place that meets us at the point of our need or want.

The Bible says in the book of Matthew, Chapter 6 and verse 33, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

Let's strive as far as we can toward Him and let Him pull us up the rest of the way.

No comments: